About This Cource
The Academy offers a full deck officer cadet programme by a degree route, leading ultimately to the award of a USA Commonwealth Of Dominica (COD) Deck Officer’s Certificate of Competency (STCW’95 II/I OOW), a Foundation Degree (FdSc) in Marine Operations and a direct top-up pathway to BSc (Hons) Marine Operations Management.
The scheme consists of five phases (usually over three years), three spent at the Academy for academic delivery and two at sea gaining practical experience. The education and training programme consists of three distinct but complementary elements:
- Academic education at the Academy in conjunction with work-based learning on board ship to attain the Foundation Degree in Marine Operations, which provides a direct top-up pathway to the BSc (Hons) Marine Operations Management.
- Practical training on board ship, including completion of an MNTB Training Record Book. This enables candidates to develop the professional competency needed for initial certification by the USA COD.
- In addition to the academic studies, the COD requires officer cadets to take a number of safety and survival courses during their cadetship.
- Foundation Degree (FdSc) in Marine Operation
A) Sponsorship from a shipping company to gain sea service.
B) Holds the minimum academic entry qualifications:
- A minimum of 48 USAS tariff points, including a numerate subject.
- GCSEs grade C or above in the following subjects: Maths (preferably Higher Tier), English, Science (with Physical Science content).
C) A valid personal medical fitness certificate recognised by the COD.