Proficiency in Medical Care
Duration- 5 days
Commonwealth Of Dominica Approved
This five-day course is for seafarers designated to take charge of medical care on board ship and for those requiring certificates of competency. On completion students will have sufficient knowledge of medical stores and equipment on board to be able to coordinated provision of medical care to all on board a vessel.
Officers applying for Chief Mates / Master CoC for the first time must hold a Proficiency in Medical Care certificate not older than five years.
The course includes:
- Initial revision on basic First Aid
- Immediate First Aid in the event of an accident or illness on board
- Management of accidents and medical emergencies
- Recognised techniques for providing treatment and medical care to sick or injured seafarers (Whilst on board ship)
- Use of materials and first/ medical equipment on board
- Ship Captain’s Medical Guide Referencing – Sources of information
- Procedures for aiding in co-ordinated schemes for medical assistance to ships
- Documentation and record keeping